Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Music, Please!

Well, not a lot goin on tonight (even those on the neverending quest to quell boredom have to rest sometime, right?), so I figured I'd give y'all a little list of the music that I have on hand during my jaunts. This is by no means an exhaustive list, it's just a sampling...

Ryan Adams - Rock 'n' Roll: The whole thing is really excellent, but I especially like

  1. "Boys"- Brilliant! "I'm as lonely as boys/who are lonely for girls/who are lonely as monkeys taught to enjoy/everything they're learn to destroy" and, especially, "I'm the loneliest boy/with the loneliest plan/but I'm ready and I want to understand/that ain't a woman/that's a girl!"
  2. "Anybody Want To Take Me Home?" - Who hasn't felt this way at some point?
New Order - Substance: Most of these tracks 20 years old--or older--and still kick my ass. Big, chunky analog synths, haunting lyrics.... It's no wonder it's a classic. Here's a couple to spin up and listen to:
  1. Lonesome Tonight - "I walk along the street/I look into your eyes/I'm pleasant when we meet"
  2. Bizarre Love Triangle - A classic if ever there was one. The only "pop" New Order track I actually like... (OK, there's Blue Monday, too) "Why can't we be ourselves/like we were yesterday"
  3. Temptation - Last one from here.... "Oh, you've got green eyes/oh, you've got blue eyes/you've got greeeeey eyes" and, of course, "tonight I think I'll walk alone/I'll find my soul as I go home"
Outkast - Big Boi and Dre Present... Outkast: It's a greatest hits disc. But damn! What a greatest hits compilation!
  1. Ms. Jackson - "This one right here goes oout to all the babies momma's mommas..." "Never meant to make your daughter cry/I apologize a trillion times"
  2. So Fresh, So Clean - How can you leave this one off? Do I even need to quote it?
Steve Lawler - Various dj sets and the Lights Out series: Absolutely incredible tribal techno. Best, most accessible mixes? His BBC Essential Mixes. Find them. You'll like them. "Please don not be alarmed, remain calm. Do not attempt to leave the dancefloor. The DJ booth is conducting a troubleshoot test of the entire system..." And then, BOOM, the music hits and keeps on hitting. 2 hours of stuff you're not ready for (and it's from 2000!)

The Replacements - Let It Be: Post punk that I missed out on cuz I was listening to Depeche Mode.
  1. Unsatisfied - Call me cranky, but this song really gets to me and speaks to me. "Look me in the eye/then tell me/I'm satisfied/are you... satisfied?"
  2. Sixteen Blue - This should have been in an 80s teenage angst movie (I'd have liked it better than the title track of Sixteen Candles, for instance)
Depeche Mode - Violator: Arguably the best DM album ever (although I like Black Celebration and Music For The Masses more, myself). Big, dark synths, cutting lyrics....
  1. Blue Dress - The synths in this song kick my ass. Every time I hear it. "Can you believe/something so simple/something so trivial/picks me up"
  2. Policy Of Truth - Nuff said.
Bob Marley - So much in the catalogue, but here's two you probably don't know:
  1. Who Colt The Game - "It's not natty-dreaded/it must be bald-headed". This is off The Complete Upsetter Collection, which, well, kicks ass.
  2. Sun Is Shining - "When the morning/gather the rainbow/want you to know/I'm a rainbow too". The vocal from this track was used by Fatboy Slim for his little-known techno hit "I'm A Rainbow, Too"
Wow, that was tiring.... Here's a few more that I'll just list:
  1. Jay-Z: 99 problems, Dirt Off Your Shoulder, etc., etc.
  2. Undeworld: Dubnobasswithmyheadman. Does it get any better?
  3. Fiona Apple: Tidal. It's the 1st. It's the best one.
  4. The Clash: London Calling.
  5. Thievery Corporation: The Cosmic Game. Excellent lounge. Their remixes are pretty damn good, too.
  6. Tricky: Pre-Millenium Tension and Maxinquaye. Who else could redo Public Enemy's Black Steel and make it acceptable in England? And Christiansands.... damn
Oh, I guess that's enough for now. Enjoy!

1 comment:

xtina said...

this post is hilarious.

i don't think i ever listened to the actual LYRICS of ne's substance, although i have been using it since high school to fuel all night art projects. still do. i probably could hum every note of every song, but still have no idea what the heck they're saying.