Saturday, March 03, 2007

Too Many Links

I've just been thinking about anonymity online, and not from the angle you might think (if you knew I did information security for a living)...
It all started cuz I was thinking about putting some pictures I've taken up here in this blog. Now, I'm not knocking blogger at all, but their layouts for pictures is, um, very limited, so I was thinking of linking to something like flickr to lay out the photos, if that was possible (embedding, anyone?). But then, I was thinking that I'm very anonymous at the moment on a picture service (or seven)... And that said anonymity is kinda cool (as is this blog's anonymity, but more on that in a minute). And by linking too much stuff together, you can suffer that fate that all superheroes want desperately to avoid: divulging their secret identity. If the watchword of this movie was "too many secrets," then mine is "too many links."

But there's a lack of anonymity, too. There are probably as many people I know reading this blog as there are people I don't know reading this blog. And that's cool. It's a way for people I don't get to see or hear from much to see what kind of wackiness is up in my life. They can leave comments if they like, but it's not required. There are people you can get to know, as well as letting people get to know you (albeit in a strange, voyeuristic fashion :).

OK, that made little sense, I suppose, but I tried....

No comments: